For a short work week it's been a really, really long week. I've had terrible insomnia all week waking at ridiculous hours like 4 in the morning. Not to mention I had blood work and my yearly exam this week. Not fun. So what could be better on a cloudy, humid Friday night than a big bowl of creamy tomato soup and a cute romantic comedy.
Earlier in the summer I asked all of you for your lists of favorite lighthearted movies, those comedies that leave you in stitches, those romantic ones that leave you swooning, those movies you love for no other reason than they just make you feel good. For weeks now I've been wanting to write a response post in which I told all of you what my favorite choices are but I just never made the time. Tonight, while I'm on the couch under an afghan, it seemed like the perfect night to share a few of my faves.
The list all of you compiled in the comments of this post were fabulous. Many of the ones you mentioned are favorites of mine as well--Amelie, Love Actually, Something's Gotta Give, Mad Hot Ballroom, Some Like It Hot, Sabrina (both of them), The Royal Tenenbaums, Practical Magic... And I was glad to see Spanglish mentioned so many times because it is one of my I-love-it-so-much-I-have-to-own-it movies. Here are some more (sorry, no links, I'm too tired)...
- Win a Date with Tad Hamilton--I just recently discovered this movie and I've got to say I love it. It just makes me feel good. And that Topher Grace is just too cute for words. A few weeks after seeing this movie for the first time I found myself standing in line at Hastings purchasing my own copy, you know, so I can watch it anytime I want to.
Comedies that really crack me up (and I'm not sure which one is my favorite because I love them all so much):
- Bottle Rocket--my favorite movies in the world are the Wes Anderson/Owen Wilson movies. They are just so witty...in a dry kind of way. Bottle Rocket could be my favorite but I don't know because I also love...
- Rushmore--Max Fisher. Oh, Max Fisher. One of my all time favorite movie characters.
- Old School--this movie makes me laugh until I can't breathe.
- Home Fries--dark and delicious
- The Matador--it's been awhile since I've seen this one...better put it on the Netflix queue
- Napoleon Dynamite--"lucky"
Sweet and Touching and Wonderful:
- The Family Stone--I watch this movie even when it isn't Christmas
- About a Boy--definitely my favorite Hugh Grant movie
- Dear Frankie---but beware, you might sniffle a little
- The Station Agent--just plain wonderful
- Return to Me--this one just makes me happy
- Never Been Kissed--well, now I like it. The first time I saw it I was going through a divorce and at the end of the movie I went straight to the theater bathroom and cried in the stall.
- Little Miss Sunshine--why don't I own this one yet?
Unforgettable Characters I Can't Get Enough of:
- Benny and Joon--Johnny Depp as a Buster Keaton type character...perfect!
- What About Bob--"baby steps on to the elevator"
The Teen Scene--I'm not a bit teen movie fan but there are a few...
- 10 Things I Hate About You--it's that scene when Heath Ledger sings You're Just Too Good to be True on the school bleachers...adorable...
- okay, I guess there's only one
And You May Remember the Movie that Inspired a Post:
- Just Like Heaven
The Three Most Watched Movies in our Home:
- Pirates of the Caribbean 1--we're big Captain Jack fans
- Pirates of the Caribbean 2--can you tell I live with little boy
- Sleepy Hollow--this one may sound a bit weird but I can't help it. I don't know what it is about this movie but I love it. I love it so much that Trey has banned my watching it when he's around because he's sick of it. I think I have a little crush on Ichabod Crane.
A Few of my Latest Enjoyments:
- Kiss,Kiss,Bang,Bang--I'm not a big Val Kilmer fan but he is really good in this
- 10 Items or Less--Morgan Freeman is one of my favorite actors
- Hairspray--oh my god! I loved it!
My Ultimate All Time Favorite Feel Good Movie:
- and the winner is...Chocolat...must be viewed while eating some form of chocolate...or a nice thick slice of key lime pie